German Potato Salad is the perfect dish for picnics and BBQ’s. The secret ingredients in this recipe are beef broth and Maggie seasoning. The salad is tangy and served at room temperature making it ideal for a summer gatherings.
My mother, one of the best cooks I know, created this family favorite. It is a recipe I loved as a child and my son asks for it now when he visits her.
The best potatoes to use for potato salad are Yukon Gold or red potatoes. Russet potatoes do not work because they are baking potatoes. The two special ingredients that make this salad tasty are Knorr beef bouillon and Maggie Seasoning. Beef broth is an unusual ingredient in potato salads, but in this case, it adds flavor and moisture. Maggie Seasoning adds a unique flavor. In Germany, Maggie Seasoning is used in meat and soup dishes. However, use it sparingly because of its strong flavor and high salt content. If you would like to learn more about Maggie Seasoning, this blog post from The Spruce Eats provides additional information.
The potato salad is easy to make and refrigerated lasts for several days.
How to make Potato Salad
Boil potatoes. Let them cool slightly. Peel them while they are warm. Slice the potatoes.
Dissolve the beef bouillon in hot water. Add it to the potatoes. Dice the onions and add them to the potatoes.
Make vinaigrette and add it to the potatoes and onions. Toss the dressing and onions with the potatoes.
Dice chives and add them the potato salad.
I like to garnish the salad with cherry tomatoes. The next time you need a side dish for a picnic or BBQ try this recipe. It will be a family favorite!
Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days.Print
Tangy and moist potato salad. A perfect side dish for summer picnics and BBQ’s
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 9 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 tsp beef bouillon granules such as Knorr (Alternative: 2/3 cup beef broth)
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Maggie Seasoning
- 2 tbsp chives, sliced
- Thoroughly wash potatoes with a vegetable brush to remove any residual dirt.
- Place potatoes in a large cooking pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Bring water to boil and cook potatoes until they are just fork tender about 20-30 minutes.
- Drain water from the potatoes and let them cool 5-10 minutes or until you can hold them comfortable in your hands without burning your fingers.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/4″ slices and place in a large bowl.
- Place beef bouillon granules In a microwave safe dish or measuring cup. Add 2/3 cup hot water. Place container in the microwave and heat water until boiling. Take container out of the microwave and stir until the granules dissolve.
- Pour the liquid over the potatoes.
- Add the diced onions and stir until combined.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and Maggie Seasoning. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour over the potatoes and combine dressing with the potatoes and onions.
- Add chives and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate potato salad for 2-3 hours for the flavors to meld together.
Keywords: salad, BBQ