Buffalo chicken drumsticks are perfect for a game day snack or an easy dinner. The drumsticks are baked and then coated with a spicy sauce. Removing the skin makes them healthier too!
I love buffalo chicken drumsticks. ‘They are one of my go-to meals when I want something that is easy but still healthy. The sauce is spicy but the heat can be adjusted to your preference. I use drumsticks instead of the traditional wings because I can remove the skin from the chicken. Plus they have more meat on them than wings. Instead of deep-frying the drumsticks, which increases the calories, I bake them. This is healthier but they are still delicious. If you have leftovers, the drumsticks are delicious when they are eaten cold. They make a great lunch. This is one of my husband’s favorite dinners and lunches!
History of buffalo chicken wings
Buffalo Chicken wings originated in 1964 in Buffalo, New York at the family-owned Anchor Bar. Teressa Bellissimo is credited with creating the recipe. She deep-fried wings and smothered them with her special sauce. Because she had celery and blue cheese on hand, Bellissimo served them with the wings. This dish has become a favorite and it is served in bars and restaurants all over the country. However, it is very easy to make at home.
What ingredients are needed for buffalo chicken drumsticks?
- Chicken Drumsticks-I like to use chicken that is either organic or that is free of antibiotics. But if that is not your thing, you can use any chicken drumstick you prefer. I have also made this recipe using chicken thighs and they were delicious!
- Frank’s RedHot® Buffalo Wings Sauce-any grocery store carries this sauce. It is often located near other hot sauces.
- Oil-I like to use extra light olive oil but you can also use canola, vegetable or avocado oil.
- Garlic powder-if you do not have garlic powder, you can also use equal amounts of granulated garlic or fresh garlic. Look for it in the spice section of your grocery store.
- Onion powder– if you do not have onion powder, you can use 1/2 tablespoon onion flakes OR- 1-2 tablespoons jarred minced onion OR – 1 teaspoon granulated onion OR – 1/4 cup chopped, fresh onion. You need quite a bit more freshly chopped onion to replace the more concentrated flavor in onion powder. Look for onion powder in the spice section of your grocery store.
- Cayenne Pepper-this is a powder that you can find in the spice section of the grocery store. Be careful as a small amount goes a long way. If you want less spice, eliminate the cayenne pepper and if you would like more spice, add 1/4 teaspoon at a time. Cayenne pepper can be substituted with 10-12 drops Tabasco sauce OR equal amounts of red chili flakes/powder. You can also use paprika, however, it’s milder so you will need to use about twice as much.
- Salt-I used kosher salt but you can use any salt that you would like. If you use a finer ground salt, use half the amount.
- Ground Black Pepper-I used coarse ground black pepper. If you use a finer grind, cut the amount in half.
How to make buffalo chicken drumsticks:
- Gather ingredients.
- Remove skin from drumsticks. Pat the drumsticks dry and brush with oil.
- Season drumsticks with salt and pepper.
- Bake drumsticks.
- Combine sauce and spices.
- Brush sauce on drumsticks.
- Broil chicken for a few minutes to heat the sauce.
Enjoy! I like to serve the drumsticks with baby carrots and celery. However, Apple Cranberry Salad would also pair well with the buffalo chicken drumsticks. Delish! Give them a try and let me know how what you think!
Tips for Success
- The most important thing is to dry the chicken with a paper towel so it can brown.
- Separate the drumsticks on the sheet pan so they can brown evenly.
- If the chicken is frozen, be sure to thaw it before baking.
How to store leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them covered in your refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I hope you try this recipe! Give it a rating and please comment below. I love hearing from you!Print
Spicy chicken drumsticks that are perfect for a game day appetizer or a simple dinner.
- 4 each chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp extra light olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup Franks RedHot®Buffalo Wings Sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or spray with pan release.
- Remove the skin by holding the bone of the drumstick while pulling the skin off the chicken.
- Pat drumsticks dry with a paper towel. Place the drumsticks on the sheet pan.
- Brush the drumsticks with oil.
- Season drumsticks with salt and pepper.
- Place the sheet pan in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine Franks RedHot®Buffalo Wings Sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Using tongs, flip the drumsticks and bake another 10 minutes or until drumsticks are golden brown and reached 165° F.
- Once the chicken is done, remove the sheet pan from the oven.
- Set the oven temp to broil.
- Brush the sauce liberally all over the drumsticks.
- Place the pan back in the oven for 5 minutes until the sauce is hot and starts to brown.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven.
- Be sure dry the drumsticks so that it will brown.
- If you use frozen drumsticks, be sure to thaw them before baking.
- Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- The drumsticks can be eaten cold.