As soon as the first cool weather arrives in the fall, our family tradition is to make chili, cornbread and a warm apple crisp for dessert. I will share my chili and cornbread recipe with you in a future post, however, today I want to first make the apple crisp. Over the years, I have tried many different crisp recipes, but this one happens to be a favorite because you only need seven ingredients (six if you do not use the nuts). This recipe is made with less sugar and fat and I have also increased the fiber by using whole wheat flour instead of regular white flour and you can’t tell the difference! I love the crunch and flavor toasted nuts add to the crisp, but you can leave them out if you are not a fan of nuts or if you are allergic to them. If you are in a decadent mood, top the warm crisp with vanilla or dulce de leche (my personal favorite) ice cream. Whipped or a drizzle of caramel sauce would also be a wonderful topping. Hope you like it as much as we do!
Simple Apple Crisp
- 2 1/2 cups apples, peeled, cored and diced into cubes
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter, diced into cubes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped and toasted
- 3 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make Filling
- In a medium, bowl place apples, 2 tbsp brown sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- Stir to coat apples evenly with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Evenly distributed cubed butter in the bottom of a 6" iron skilled (or an 8" baking pan).
- Place apples on top of butter and distributed evenly in the pan.
- Make Topping
- In a medium bowl, place 1/3 cup brown sugar, flour, oats, nuts, melted butter and cinnamon. Stir until well combined.
- Distributed topping evenly over apples.
- Place pan in oven and bake 30 minutes or until bubbling.
- Let crisp cool slightly. Serve with your favorite topping such as vanilla or dulce de leche ice cream or whipped topping. If you are watching your calories, you may want to skip the topping. It is delicious without it.
Note: Nutritional Analysis does not include any of the suggested toppings.