This salad is tangy and crunchy which makes it the perfect accompaniment to roasted or grilled meats.
- 1 Head red cabbage, about one pound
- 1/4 medium onion (should yield 1/2 cup finely chopped onion)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- Wash cabbage head and remove outer leaves.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the white core.
- Shred the cabbage with a food processor. Use the largest size shredding blade. Alternativley, slice the quarters into very thin strips, (1/8″).
- Place shreded cabbage in a mixing bowl.
- Finely dice the onion. Add it to the red cabbage and toss to combine.
- In a measureing cup or mixing bowl Combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Pour vinaigrette on cabbage. Toss until vinaigrette is evenly distributed.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. The salad can be eaten sooner but the longer it sits the better it gets!
- The red cabbage should be firm and heavy.
- Make the salad several hours before you plan to eat it. The longer it marinates the better it will taste.
- If you do not have a food processor, be sure the cut the cabbage into very thin strips. First, cut the cabbage into quarters, then remove the white core, and finally slice cabbage quarters into thin strips.