These breakfast tacos are made with roasted potatoes, silky scrambled eggs, and Colby Jack cheese. Make them ahead and reheat them on busy weekday mornings or make them for a lazy weekend brunch.
- 1 1/2 cups Roasted potatoes with onions and red pepper
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil (canola, vegetable or olive oil)
- 1 cup grated Colby Jack cheese
- Cilantro for garnish (optional).
- Your favorite salsa
Warm the tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 200 °F.
- Heat a cast-iron pan, griddle, or other heavy bottom skillets over medium-high heat until it is hot. To test if it is hot enough, add a few drops of water to the pan. If it sizzles, it is hot enough.
- Place a tortilla in the pan for 20 seconds or until the tortilla is "puffed" up and has brown spots on it. Turn the tortilla and cook the other side for about 20 seconds or until it has a few brown spots. When it is done, place the tortilla on a sheet of aluminum foil. Heat remaining tortillas and wrap them in the foil. Place the foil-wrapped tortillas in the oven until you are ready to assemble the tacos.
Make the scrambled eggs and cheese
- Break the eggs into a medium-size bowl and whisk them for about 1 minute or until you do not see any egg white. The eggs should have a uniform color and the whites should be well incorporated with the egg yolks.
- Whisk in the salt.
- In a nonstick fry pan heat the oil over medium heat. You can use a regular skillet if you do not have a non-stick skillet but add an additional 2 teaspoons of oil.
- Add the whisked eggs to the skillet. Gently stir the eggs, by pulling the eggs from the edge of the pan to the middle in a figure-eight motion.
- Once the eggs are almost cooked, there will still be some runny egg, add the cheese. Continue to gently stir the eggs and cheese until the eggs are just set. Be careful not to overcook the mixture.
Assemble the breakfast tacos
- Remove the tortillas from the oven and lay them on a cutting board or another surface so that you can assemble the breakfast tacos.
- Distribute 2-3 tablespoons of the potatoes down the middle of the tortillas, top with 2-3 tablespoons of the egg and cheese mixture.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Fold the tortilla in half.
- Serve the breakfast tacos with your favorite salsa or hot sauce.
- Cut the potatoes in small dices ¼ inch.
- To save time, roast the potatoes ahead of time and warm them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes before assembling the breakfast tacos.
- Use a nonstick fry pan to cook the eggs, you will be happy that you did. If you use a cast iron or regular skillet, add extra oil or butter to prevent the eggs from sticking to the pan.
- The eggs should be creamy and moist. Be careful not to overcook them.
- Warm the tortillas in a hot pan to get nice brown spots on the tortillas.
- In order not to overfill the tortillas, put a thin strip of potatoes and eggs down the middle of the tortilla.
- To prevent the tortilla from getting soggy, cool the scrambled eggs and roasted potatoes for a few minutes and then place the roasted potatoes on the tortilla and then top with the scrambled eggs. Another option is not to add the cheese to the eggs when cooking them. Place the cheese on the tortilla before adding the eggs and potatoes.
- If you freeze the tacos, place them in the freezer as soon as they are filled to prevent the steam from softening the tortilla.
Keywords: #Breakfast Tacos, #Texas Breakfast Tacos, #Breakfast, #Brunch