This is a thick and flavorful meat sauce. An added bonus it’s easy to make!
- 1/4 cup olive oil or other cooking oil
- 1 pound ground turkey ((ground beef can be substituted))
- 1 pound ground turkey Italian sausage ((Pork Italian sausage can be substituted))
- 1/2 cup chopped onions, (1/4″ cubes)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsp dried sweet basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 each bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup green or red chopped pepper, (1/4″ cubes)
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 3/4 cup water
- Pour oil in a dutch oven (or pan that can hold 3-4 quarts of liquid). Heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey and turkey Italian sausage. Stir the meat with a wooden spoon to break it into smaller pieces. Cook until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season sauce with Worcestershire sauce, oregano leaves, sweet basil, thyme leaves, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes.
- Stir crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, red wine and water into the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add enough water to achieve the consistency you like.
This recipe is adapted from Cooks.com.