This chicken can be ready in under 1 hour! Great for company or a weeknight dinner. Makes delicious leftovers or weekday lunches.
- 1 each 4-5 pound while chicken
- 2 each lemons
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic (1 tbsp), minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the backbone of the chicken using a sharp chef’s knife or poultry scissors. It is easier to cut if you cut as close to the backbone as possible. You can freeze the backbone and once you have 5-8 backbones you can make chicken stock.
- Using a Microplane, remove lemon peel. Be sure to grate only the yellow part of the lemon since the white part is bitter. You should have about 2 tsp of the grated lemon peel.
- Combine grated lemon peel, thyme, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Pat the chicken dry using a paper towel. It is important to dry the chicken so that the skin will brown.
- Rub the above spice mixture all over the chicken.
- Place chicken in a cast iron pan.
- Roast chicken 30-40 minutes until the skin is crisp and an instant-read thermometer inserted in breast reaches 165 degrees F. Let rest 5-10 minutes to allow the juices to reabsorb. Cut desired pieces (thighs, legs, wings, breasts).