This refreshing cucumber salad (Gurkensalat) is perfect at any time of the year. It is cool, crisp, and packed with flavor. Try it the next time you are looking for something new!
This is the Cucumber Salad (Gurkensalat) that I grew up eating. Lately, I have had a craving for salads that my mother made for my family. The last time I visited her in Austin I asked her to make a cucumber salad and then I measured all the dressing ingredients so that I could make it at home and post it on my blog. I can not tell you how often I have made it since I visited her.
I like this salad because it is refreshing and is the perfect accompaniment with so many meals. It goes especially well with pork, beef, and sausage and is a great pot-luck dish to bring to a picnic or other function.
I especially like the vinaigrette dressing. The garlic gives it a kick. If you do not like garlic decrease the amount but you have to use some of it won’t be the same. Dill is also an important ingredient and I would not leave it out. Dry dill works, but fresh dill is so much better in this salad. If you do not have it growing in your garden, spend the extra money and purchase fresh dill. You will be glad you did! I use white wine vinegar but any white vinegar will work fine.
The cucumber salad (Gurkensalat) is very easy and fast to make. I normally make the vinaigrette first by combining the pressed garlic, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, oil, and dill in a bowl.
Then I slice the cucumbers. The best way to do this is with a mandolin. But if you do not have one, use a box grater or even cut the cucumber into 1/8″ slices with a sharp knife.
The last step is to put the cucumber slices in a bowl and add the vinaigrette. It is that simple!
I like to garnish the salad with tomatoes and a little bit of additional dill.
I hope you will make this recipe. Be sure to rate it and let me know how you like it in the comments section below! Happy Eating!Print
German Cucumber Salad perfect for a potluck picnic
- 2 cloves garlic (1 tsp pressed garlic)
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 3 Tbsp light olive or canola oil
- 1 tsp fresh dill (dry will work but it is not as flavorful)
- 1 English Cucumber about 10” in length
- Place pressed garlic in a small bowl
- Add the vinegar to the bowl
- Add the sugar to the bowl
- Add the salt and pepper to the bowl
- Add the oil and the dill to the bowl.
- Combine all dressing ingredients with a spoon or small whisk.
- Slice the cucumber with a mandoline. You can also use a box grater or cut the cucumber into 1/8″ slices with a sharp knife.
- Cucumbers should be very thin.
- Place the sliced cucumbers in a bowl. Add the vinaigrette to the cucumbers and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Keywords: cucumber, salad, healthy