Apple crisp that is better for you. Made with oatmeal, whole grain flour, nuts, less sugar, and fat but still yummy!
- 2 1/2 cups apples, peeled, cored and diced into cubes
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter, diced into cubes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped and toasted
- 3 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make Filling
- In a medium, bowl place apples, 2 tbsp brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- Stir to coat apples evenly with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Evenly distributed cubed butter in the bottom of a 6″ iron skillet (or an 8″ baking pan).
- Place apples on top of the butter and distributed them evenly in the pan.
- Make Topping
- In a medium bowl, place 1/3 cup brown sugar, flour, oats, nuts, melted butter, and cinnamon. Stir until well combined.
- Distributed topping evenly over apples.
- Place pan in the oven and bake 30 minutes or until bubbling.
- Let the crisp cool slightly. Serve with your favorite toppings such as vanilla or dulce de leche ice cream or whipped topping. If you are watching your calories, you may want to skip the topping. It is delicious without it.